ListServ

Job Opportunity: Epidemiologist at Maine Cancer Registry

• 1.  Job Opportunity: Epidemiologist at Maine Cancer Registry

Posted 01-22-2024 03:22 PM

Hello All

The University of Southern Maine is hiring for a Research Associate I - Epidemiology. This position is embedded at the Maine CDC's Data, Research, and Vital Statistics  (DRVS) and will work primarily with the Maine Cancer Registry (MCR).  The full posting details are pasted below.

Please share this information with interested candidates and reach out to me if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Carolyn

Carolyn Bancroft, MPH, DrPH (she/her/hers)

Surveillance and Statistics Manager

Data, Research, and Vital Statistics

(207) 287-5455

Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention - Preserve ~ Promote ~ Protect

Job Details: Research Associate I - Epidemiology (hiretouch.com)

Job Details
    Research Associate I - Epidemiology
    Augusta
    Augusta ME
    Catherine E. Cutler Institute - PMCCI
    UMPSA
    M-F, 8am - 4:30pm

The University of Southern Maine's Catherine E. Cutler Institute invites applications for a Research Associate.  This position will work with our team of USM epidemiologists along with the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC). 

The Muskie School of Public Service is Maine's distinguished public policy school, combining an extensive applied research and technical assistance portfolio with rigorous undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs in geography-anthropology; tourism and hospitality; policy, planning, and management (MPPM); and public health (MPH). The school is nationally recognized for applying innovative knowledge to critical issues in the fields of sustainable development and health and human service policy and management and is home to the Cutler Institute for Health and Social Policy. The Muskie School and Cutler Institute engage in cross-disciplinary opportunities through the University of Maine Graduate & Professional Center, which brings together programs in business, law, policy, and public health. 

The Research Associate I works with a team of USM epidemiologists dedicated to building public health surveillance and epidemiology capacity at USM and the Maine CDC (the state's public health agency). The Research Associate I is responsible for aspects of creating, implementing, and sustaining systems for public health surveillance within the Maine CDC.  This includes assessing the burden and trends of health-related outcomes, including morbidity, mortality, natality, cancer incidence, and risk/protective factors in the general population and among sub-populations.  In addition, the RA I will collaborate on epidemiologic and evaluation studies in program-specific areas. This position is embedded at the Maine CDC's Data, Research, and Vital Statistics Program (DRVS) and will work primarily with the Maine CDC's Maine Cancer Registry (MCR) within that program.

This is a full-time, soft-money (grant) funded position with a starting annual salary up to $58,435 commensurate with experience.  This position will be based primarily in Augusta. 

The University of Southern Maine is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff, and student body. It embraces an inclusive campus community that values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development, and institutional success. Our Office of Equity, Inclusion and Community Impact supports the University of Southern Maine's DEIA and Community Impact focused departments, committees, groups, projects, training, and events. USM encourages women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and people from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds to apply.

We live our USM Service Promise: Student Focused Every Day.  We are looking for a team member who understands that promise and supports our values: Respect & Care, Integrity, Equity and Responsiveness.   

The University of Southern Maine provides a highly competitive benefits package that includes holidays, vacation and sick time; health, dental and vision insurance; life insurance; short- and long-term disability insurance; a tuition waiver program for employee and eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement plan; and more.  Click on our Benefits Information Summary to learn more. 

• Master's Degree in Epidemiology or related field, preferably from an accredited school of public health and a minimum of two years of related work experience
    • Strong quantitative data analytic skills, including knowledge of major computer-based statistical packages, preferably SAS or R.
    • Demonstrated ability to communicate and work with a broad spectrum of administrators, researchers and other professionals.
    • Demonstrated knowledge of public health surveillance systems.
    • Demonstrated mastery of basic principles of epidemiology and public health.

To apply materials must be submitted via "APPLY FOR POSITION" at the bottom of the job posting or at USM Jobs.

You will create an applicant profile and complete an application and upload a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae.  Finalist candidates will be asked to provide a list of the names and contact information for references. 

We will examine candidate packages on an ongoing basis as they are submitted.

Application materials must be received by February 4, 2024

We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa sponsorship support.

Appropriate background screening will be conducted for the successful candidate.

In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and pursuing its own goals of diversity, the University of Maine System does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, age, disability physical or mental, genetic information, or veterans or military status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.

The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 5748 Boudreau Hall, Room 101, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207-581-1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).

------------------------------
    Carolyn Bancroft
    [CompanyName]
    ------------------------------