2022 Field Study: Call for Cases
FROM: Serban Negoita (NCI SEER): Co-chair NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group
Manxia Wu (NPCR): Co-chair NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group
SUBJECT: 2022 Field Testing
DATE: August 8, 2022
The High-Level Strategic (HLSG) and Mid-Level Tactical Groups (MLTG) are conducting field testing on proposed new data items for 2024 implementation . The field test assessments ask registrars to code the proposed new data items using original medical records. Records are not to be submitted without following the specific instructions below.
The purpose of field testing is to assess the feasibility of collecting new information and the accuracy and consistency of coding. Feedback from the field testing will guide revisions, as needed, to codes and coding instructions and assist with determining educational needs.
This field test will inform the MLTG in its determination of implementing the proposed new/revised data items and provide the NAACCR SSDI work group and the Standard Setters information for developing and refining new proposed SSDIs and other data items.
I. Description of Cases Requested
Cases must be de-identified before submitting. Remove/delete all personal identifying information to protect privacy and assure confidentiality.
Personal identifiers include:
Remove or delete all personal identifiers from each page of the medical record.
1. If sending more than one case, please submit cases with p16 results and some without
1. Breast (lumpectomy, mastectomy)
2. Colon (including Appendix) (polypectomy, wide local excision, partial colectomy, hemicolectomy, total colectomy, protocolectomy, appendectomy)
3. Lung (excision, wedge resection, lobectomy, bilobectomy, pneumonectomy)
4. Pancreas (partial pancreatectomy, Whipple procedure
5. Thyroid (partial lobectomy, lobectomy, thyroidectomy)
II. Case Preparation
· Electronic submission to IMS (see instructions for how to send cases below). If you do not have cases in electronic format, then please scan the records into pdf or OCR format to send electronically.
· Remove all personal identifiers from all reports.
· Number the cases sequentially, beginning with Case 1 (Case 1, Case 2, Case 3, etc.) on electronic file name, not on inside of document.
· Please retain for future uses, the patient ID or medical record number or any other useful information that will help you identify the original source. Please do not transmit these numbers.
Case Submission: Please do not hold cases until the deadline. Send cases as soon as you locate them.
Last Day to Submit Cases: September 3, 2022
When to send: Please send cases as they are identified. Multiple submissions are preferred rather than waiting to send them all right before the deadline
How to send: Instructions for submitting cases
Case data will be collected by Information Management Services, Inc., who provides technical support for SEER.
When you are ready to transmit the case data, please email Nicki Schussler (SchusslerN@imsweb.com ). Please include your organization's name and that the data is ready for transmission. DO NOT include the case data on this initial email.
You will then receive an email via the IMS Encrypted data exchange server referencing the call for data. Please respond to this email from the encrypted data exchange, attaching your data file. If you are required to encrypt the file by your organization's policies, please provide a phone number and Nicki will contact you to get the password.
If you have any questions regarding the call for cases, please contact Jim Hofferkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Program Manager of Education and Training