2023 Call For Cases
FROM: Serban Negoita (NCI SEER): Co-chair NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group
Manxia Wu (NPCR): Co-chair NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group
SUBJECT: 2023 Field Testing
The Senior-Level and Mid-Level Tactical Groups are conducting field testing to determine how well proposed Data Items are developed and to collect feedback from registrars prior to implementation of these data items. The field test assessments ask registrars to code the proposed SSDIs using original medical records. Records are not to be submitted without following the specific instructions below.
This field test will provide Standard Setters information for developing new data items.
Pediatric Registrars take notice!!
This year we will be field testing several data items that are related to pediatric cancers. Please pay attention to the age requirement for each of the data items as some may apply to all ages. We will also be field testing a data item that is a non-pediatric cancer.
I. Description of Cases Requested
Cases must be de-identified before submitting. Remove/delete all personal identifying information to protect privacy and assure confidentiality.
Personal identifiers include:
Remove or delete all personal identifiers from each page of the medical record.
PEDIATRIC data items
1. CNS Involvement (pathology reports, imaging, physician notes), with the following involvement
2. White Blood Cell Count (laboratory report)
9650/3-9653/3, 9655/3, 9659/3, 9663/3
1. Any or all the following: Staging Information, involvement of nodal or extranodal regions, nodal involvement above and below diaphragm, metastatic disease, including lung involvement, CNS involvement, bone marrow involvement (pathology reports, imaging, physician notes) (Also known as St. Jude Murphy Staging)
9591/3, 9671/3, 9673/3, 9678/3-9680/3, 9687/3-9691/3, 9695/3, 9698/3, 9699/3-9702/3, 9705/3, 9714/3-9719/3, 9724/3, 9827/3 9735/3, 9737/3, 9761/3-9762/3, 9766/3, 9823/3
9380/3, 9384/3, 9400/3-9411/3, 9420/3-9424/3, 9440/3-9442/3
1. Presence/absence of metastatic disease, and/or
2. BRAF Mutational Analysis (pathology reports, molecular reports, physician notes). Note, the common BRAF type for this site is KIAA1549-BRAF
9470/3-9480/3, 9501/3-9504/3, 9508/3
1. Presence of any of the following:
Note: Do not send results from a surgical pathology report. This data item is a clinical evaluation only
8000/3-8005/3, 8959/3, 8960/3, 8963/3-8964/3, 9364/3
1. Extension of primary tumor, with or without regional lymph nodes or mets (surgical pathology reports, with or without neoadjuvant therapy; imaging (for Stage IV patients only), physicians notes, with or without involvement of contralateral kidney (Wilms Tumor Staging System)
2. Chromosome 1p status (pathology reports, molecular reports, physician notes)
3. Chromosome 1q status (pathology reports, molecular reports, physician notes)
4. Chromosome 16q status (pathology reports, molecular reports, physician notes)
5. EWSRI-FLI1 (Ewing Sarcoma only, 9364/3) (CAP Protocol, pathology reports, molecular reports, physician notes)
9180/3-9187/3, 9191/3-9195/3, 9200/3, 9210/3, 9220/3-9221/3, 9230/3, 9240/3-9243/3, 9260/3
C400-C419, C760-C768, C809
8000/3-8005/3, 8800/3, 8801/3, 8803/3-8805/3, 8810/3-8812/3, 8823/3, 8830/3, 9250/3, 9261/3-9262/3, 9270/3-9275/3, 9280/3-9282/3, 9290/3, 9300/3-9302/3, 9310/3-9312/3, 9320/3-9322/3, 9330/3, 9340/3-9342/3, 9370/3-9372/3
1. Presence/absence of metastatic disease
8900/3-8905/3, 8910/3, 8912/3, 8920/3, 8991/3
8820/, 8822/3, 8824/3-8827/3, 9150/3, 9160/3, 9491/3, 9540/3-9571/3, 9580/3
8587/3, 8710/3-8713/3, 8806/3, 8810/3, 8811/3, 8813/3-8815/3, 8821/3, 8823/3, 8830/3-8836/3, 8840/3-8842/3, 8850/3-8858/3, 8860/3-8862/3, 8870/3, 8880/3, 8881/3, 8890/3-8898/3, 8921/3, 8982/3, 8990/3, 9040/3-9044/3, 9120/3-9125/3, 9130/3-9133/3, 9135/3, 9136/3, 9141/3, 9142/3, 9161/3, 9170/3-9175/3, 9231/3, 9251/3, 9252/3, 9373/3, 9581/3
C000-C399, C440-C768, C809
C000-C639, C659-C699, C739-C768, C809
9180, 9210, 9220, 9240
C000-C399, C470-C639, C659-C699, C739-C768, C809
C000-C399, C470-C639, C659-C768, C809
1. Extension of primary tumor, with or without regional lymph nodes or mets (surgical pathology reports, imaging, physician's notes)
9060/3-9065/3, 9070/3-9073/3, 9080/3-9085/3, 9090/3, 9091/3, 9100/3-9101/3
1. Extension of primary tumor, with or without regional lymph nodes or mets (surgical pathology reports, imaging, physician's notes
NON-PEDIATRIC data item
i. For non-small cell carcinomas only (excludes small cell carcinomas: 8041/3, 8043/3, 8044/3, 8045/3) (pathology reports (biopsy, surgical), molecular reports)
The case files could include information such as the following:
II. Case Preparation
· Electronic submission to IMS (see instructions for how to send cases below). If you do not have cases in electronic format, then please scan the records into pdf or OCR format to send electronically.
· Remove all personal identifiers from all reports
· Number the cases sequentially, beginning with Case 1 (Case 1, Case 2, Case 3, etc.) on electronic file name, not on inside of document
· Please retain for future uses, the patient ID or medical record number associated with the case number on the file or any other useful information that will help you identify the original source. Please do not transmit these numbers.
Case Submission: Please do not hold cases until the deadline. Send cases as soon as you locate them.
Last Day to Submit Cases: September 11, 2023
When to send: Please send cases as they are identified. Multiple submissions are preferred rather than waiting to send them all right before the deadline.
How to send: Instructions for submitting cases
Case data will be collected by Information Management Services, Inc., who provides technical support for SEER.
When you are ready to transmit the case data, please email Nicki Schussler (SchusslerN@imsweb.com). DO NOT include the case data on this initial email. Please include your organization's name and that the data is ready for transmission.
You will then receive an email via the IMS Encrypted data exchange server referencing the call for data. Please respond to this email from the encrypted data exchange, attaching your data file. If you are required to encrypt the file by your organization's policies, please provide a phone number and Nicki will contact you to get the password.
Thank you for assisting with the field-testing call for cases.