FROM: Serban Negoita (NCI SEER): Co-chair NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group
Manxia Wu (NPCR): Co-chair NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group
SUBJECT: 2020 Field Testing
DATE: July 29, 2020
The NAACCR Mid-Level Tactical Group is conducting field testing to determine how well proposed SSDIs (implementation 2022) are developed and to collect feedback from registrars prior to implementation of these data items. The field test assessments ask registrars to code the proposed SSDIs using original medical records. Records are not to be submitted without following the specific instructions below.
This field test will provide the NAACCR SSDI work group information for developing and refining the new proposed SSDIs.
I. Description of Cases Requested
Cases must be de-identified before submitting. Remove/delete all personal identifying information to protect privacy and assure confidentiality.
Personal identifiers include:
Remove or delete all personal identifiers from each page of the medical record.
1. Cases with multiple tumors (abstracted as one primary) with multiple results of ER/PR/HER2
2. Cases with primary tumor DCIS and positive lymph node metastasis with the ER/PR/HER2 available from the lymph node metastasis
1. Cases where the pathology report indicates visceral pleural invasion
Note: Do not send cases where Visceral Pleural Invasion is based only on imaging
1. Cases where Cytoreduction surgery has been completed with or without neoadjuvant therapy
1. Cases where High Risk Cytogenetics has been in addition to the bone marrow biopsy confirming the plasma cell myeloma. Prefer reports that are based on FISH analysis; however, any reports that contain information about high risk cytogenetics are very much appreciated
1. Cases where the cores examined/positive listed as a summary in the CAP Protocol do not match up with the microscopic description of the number of cores examined/positive
1. Cases where the clinical grade documented is the preferred grade, and the pathological grade is not the preferred grading system (for example, for Colon and Rectum: Well diff documented in biopsy, but documented as low grade in the surgical pathology report)
2. Cases where a clinical grade is available and there is histological confirmation of metastatic disease and no surgical resection is done
3. Schemas to search in: Breast, Colon and Rectum, Esophagus, Head and Neck, Lung, Head and Neck, Pancreas, Stomach
Note: May also send Grade cases from other schemas where it's not clear from the instructions on how to code.
The case files could include information such as the following:
II. Case Preparation
· Electronic submission to IMS (see instructions for how to send cases below). If you do not have cases in electronic format, then please scan the records into pdf or OCR format to send electronically.
· Remove all personal identifiers from all reports.
· Number the cases sequentially, beginning with Case 1 (Case 1, Case 2, Case 3, etc.) on electronic file name, not on inside of document.
· Please retain for future uses, the patient ID or medical record number or any other useful information that will help you identify the original source. Please do not transmit these numbers.
Case Submission: Please do not hold cases until the deadline. Send cases as soon as you locate them.
Last Day to Submit Cases: September 1, 2020
When to send: Please send cases as they are identified. Multiple submissions are preferred rather than waiting to send them all right before the deadline
How to send: Instructions for submitting cases
Case data will be collected by Information Management Services, Inc., who provides technical support for SEER.
When you are ready to transmit the case data, please email Nicki Schussler (SchusslerN@imsweb.com). Please include your organization's name and that the data is ready for transmission. DO NOT include the case data on this initial email.
You will then receive an email via the IMS Encrypted data exchange server referencing the call for data. Please respond to this email from the encrypted data exchange, attaching your data file. If you are required to encrypt the file by your organization's policies, please provide a phone number and Nicki will contact you to get the password.