With the upcoming transition of the NAACCR Data Exchange format from fixed-width to XML getting closer, many registries have questions about this change and need to know the best way to get help.
The NAACCR XML Data Exchange Workgroup would like to remind everyone of a few resources that can help with this transition:
- Questions (technical or not) about the format or how to process it can be posted on the NAACCR XML Forum: https://www.naaccr.org/forums/forum/naaccr-xml-standard/
- The NAACCR XML Utility tool (https://github.com/imsweb/naaccr-xml/wiki/) can be used to convert XML to fixed-column and vice-versa.
- File*Pro (https://seer.cancer.gov/tools/filepro/) is another free software that can be used to convert the formats and perform more complex operations like filtering and recoding.
- For IT folks, the technical specifications can be found in the Implementation Guide available on the NAACCR website (https://www.naaccr.org/xml-data-exchange-standard/).
- A Java library to read and write NAACCR XML can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/imsweb/naaccr-xml/
- A DLL library to read and write NAACCR XML can be found on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/tools/registryplus/xml-exchange-plus.htm
- And finally, SAS macros for reading and writing NAACCR XML can be found here: https://github.com/imsweb/naaccr-xml/wiki/7:-NAACCR-XML-and-SAS
If you have developed any software tools that deal with NAACCR XML and are willing to share them with the community, please contact the NAACCR XML Data Exchange Workgroup via the forum and we will be happy to help.
The NAACCR XML Data Exchange Workgroup
Lori A. Havener, CTR
Program Manager of Standards